Sunday, December 19, 2010

2010 and beyond

With 2010 coming to an end there is no better time to reflect on the year we've had, and to think about what is next. One of our goals,was to see more theatre. And to that end we have been tremendously successful. There was a lot of ground to make up, after traveling all last winter, but Justin and I have seen some great theatre this summer and fall: Mirvish's Legally Blonde in July, [title of show] by Angelwalk, Through the Leaves at Tarragon, Blasted at Buddies in Bad Times, everything at Soulpepper, Billy Twinkle at Factory, Silicon Diaries also at Buddies, Studies in Motion at CanStage, and both Sexual Perversity in Chicago and Mojo by the Red One Theatre Collective, to mention a few. It has been a great couple of months and more on the horizon.

We have also been fortunate to see more dance, particularly down at the Harbourfront Centre. Out of Context - for Pina by the Belgium based Alain Plate les ballets C de la B was one of my most favourite nights out this fall. It was a beautiful and inspiring show, and reminded me how much I love dance and want to be seeing more of it. We have been making an effort to include more dance coverage and one of our goals for 2011 is to include regular dance write ups and reviews. Hope the National Ballet is reading!

Another avenue that we are excited about exploring is opera. Opera has been a more recent interest to us and we are excited about developing a relationship with the COC. I had the pleasure of attending Operanation this fall, and was thrilled by all the young energy at the party. Seeing the COC's Amber and Wallis perform with Broken Social Scene was magical, and made me really interested in seeing more at the Four Seasons. My opera exposure is pretty limited. The first time I saw any opera wasn't until high school when a music teacher showed us the 1983 film version of La Traviata. It was mesmerizing. But not nearly as mesmerizing as seeing La Traviata in person, at an outdoor amphitheater in Florence, Italy. I was hooked! Justin and I went to see his first Opera at the COC, Electra, a few years back. Talk about a study in contrast. But one thing remained the same and that was the grandeur and depth of feeling. I have since seen both The Magic Flute and Madam Butterfly at the Met, and I know I will be a life long opera fan. EAP is super excited about seeing more from the Canadian Opera Company in 2011, at their beautiful Opera House.

With so much coming to the city's theatres in the next few months I am sure we will be as busy as ever. And we look forward to seeing you at the theatre.

No comments: