Friday, April 10, 2009

Liza rocked the house



As promised I wanted to follow up about Liza's show at Roy Thompson Hall. First, she started on time, and was in top form. Unfortunately for me, because the price of tickets was astronomical, well at least for me, I saw mostly Liza's back for the first act, but what a back. She really was in good form, and seemed really, genuinely glad to be in Toronto. Her pantsuits, of course she wore pantsuits, were fierce, sparkly, and divalicious.

Now I will say that Liza's voice is not what it once was, but she is such an incredible performer, and she know how to manipulate the music and give her old standards a new fresh sound. And she did do a lot of her old hits, including Cabaret, Maybe This Time, Liza with a Z, The World Goes Round, and New York New York, which was probably the highlight of the show. And she finished the show with an acapella version of I'll be Seeing You, which left me in tears. My favourite part of the evening was definitely after she sang Mammy, and a gentleman rushed from the back of the house to the stage to present her with tulips, which she graciously accepted by says, "these are expensive, you didn't need to bring me these. Honey all you need to do for me is show up." Isn't that great?!

Anyway, overall I think it was, as predicted, a night I will never forget. I was giddy from start to finish and I think Liza was too. It is so wonderful after decades in the business to see that she still gets excited to be on stage in front of a live audience. I will also say, that despite Roy Thompson Hall being a bit spotty sound wise, it was a great venue for this kind of show. Because the Hall feels so intimate and the performers are so close to the audience it really suited the one woman cabaret. It made Liza Minnelli, perhaps one of the greatest stage legends of all time feel accessible, and the connection between her and the audience was undeniable. It was like seeing her at any local piano bar. Boy wouldn't that be something, Liza at Statler's. My only regret was that I didn't wait around after the show to try and get an autograph or stalk her back to her hotel. I could have but I was wiped out.

No comments: