Friday, November 21, 2008

South Pacific dazzles

As I mentioned while I am in New York there are a few shows that I felt I should not miss. South Pacific was at the top of that list, and I didn't think it was likely to happen. Especially since it is one of the only sold out shows this time of year. But I went by Lincoln Centre Tuesday morning, and they told me if I came back at five I might be able to get returns. So at quarter to five I returned to LC, thinking there was not much of a chance of getting tickets. But by some miracle I got the only two returns for the day. And I didn't even care that they were 125$ each. The show started at seven because it is over three hours long, but let me tell you three hours has never felt shorter. The Vivian Beaumont, is a beautiful theatre, although I perceived it as a small Broadway house it actually seats 1080. And all of the technical elements were perfect, not like Gypsy which was plagued by bad sound for the whole show at Wednesday's matinee. I love the feature at the Beaumont which allows the part of the stage covering the pit to be pulled back, enhancing the sound of the magnificent orchestra. That feature was perfectly utilized, and not over done, it really added to the swelling score everytime the orchestra was revealed. There were other elements of perfection as well, the set and the staging were really superb. Everything moved around the large stage seamlessly. The crowds of sailors who adorn the stage for much of the show really gave you that sense of wartime reality. A lot of hurry up and wait, as it were.

The leads were amazing. Kelli O'Hara, who I have known about since Light in the Piazza, was perfectly cast as Nelly Forbush. And Danny Bernstein stole the show as Luther Billis. There number together, "Honey Buns" was one of the best theatre moments I have ever experienced. Paulo Szot, who played Emille de Becque, had that rare quality of masculinity, which is so often lacking in the leading men of today. His opera background is probably partly responsible for that, and it was refreshing to see a leading man who actually has chemistry with his leading lady. As for Mathew Morrison, who plays Lt. Joseph Cable I think I'd go to the South Pacific with him, no problem. Beautiful voice as well. I was also really impressed by Loretta Ables Sayre, who's Bloody Mary went so far beyond the caricature that is written, to become a real entity in South Pacific. "Happy Talk," which I have always loved because frankly it is one of the funniest and most outlandish numbers in musical theatre, took on a new and much more human face in this production.
In fact overall, that is what makes this production of South Pacific so good. Because it is not the best show, it is not even the best of Rogers and Hammerstein. The storyline arch is awkward. For example, unlike in the film the show starts at the de Becque's plantation, and Nelly and de Becque are already well into their courtship when we are introduced to them, which to me felt very forced. It also makes the first act a little flat, or at least this performance it felt a bit flat. But the music is quintessentially Rogers and Hammerstein. I would defy anyone to leave that show not humming those tunes. And just like all the major reviews have said, South Pacific is so well contextualized in our modern world, and so many things are illuminated in this production. This show is given new meaning in our times, and also our times make it obvious what a classic this musical really is.
I will try to get a revue of Gypsy up tomorrow. Lots to talk about there. Patti Patti Patti.

2 comments:

Justin Haley said...

Gypsy has sound problems when I saw it too. I am surprised Patti puts up with that.
JH

liza101 said...

i know, it was devastating