Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Sound of Music



I had the distinct pleasure to get a free ticket to see a press preview of The Sound of Music at the Princess of Wales theatre last week, in Toronto. I say a pleasure, because The Sound of Music is not the kind of show that I would buy a ticket for, although I have no doubt it will be a huge success here, for Mirvish. And also because I really enjoyed myself. It was especially interesting for me since I didn't watch the television program, How do you Solve a Problem like Maria?, which accompanied and cast the lead for the Toronto revival. Not having watched the casting show I had a more objective take on Elicia's performance, which while not bad lacked a certain Maria-esqu quality. I mean it may be a press preview, but Maria should not forget the words to Do a Dear, you know that song about singing. Despite that, Elicia's obvious novice status in professional theatre lent itself to some moments of genuine connection. Her relationship with the von Trapp children was warm and believable. Sadly, I can't say the same for the relationship between Elicia's Maria and Burke Moses' Captain von Trapp. It was like watching Maria make out with her gay uncle. The was more genuine feeling between Maria and the Mother Abbess, played by French-Canadian Noella Huet. As far a Huet is concerned, it's obvious that her voice got her the job. Climb Every Mountain was a showstopper, and to be honest the opening hymn was the most moving scene in the entire production, I actually had a tear in my eye right from the jump. But I could not get over Huet's french accent, I know it is not very equitable of me, but it was a distraction.

As far as the production was concerned, it was a big success. The scene changes were seamless, and given the enormous scale of The Sound of Music I thought it was both impressive and simple. For example the Austrian mountains which are so central at the beginning and ending of the show were done on an arm which tilted forwards and backwards in a twisting motion that proved very effective. Of course there were glitches, sound, lighting kinks, but nothing that seemed unfixable for the opening this month. As long as Maria remembers that Re - a drop of golden sun follows Do it should be a huge hit, with avid theatre-goers and families alike.

No comments: